Friday, April 25, 2008

Anzac Day

Happy Anzac Day! For those (like me) who didn't know what it was...here is a little info. "Anzac Day occurs on 25 April. It commemorates all New Zealanders killed in war and also honours returned servicemen and women." More importantly, the date marks the "anniversary of the landing of New Zealand and Australian soldiers – the Anzacs – on the Gallipoli Peninsula in 1915." While it led to a military defeat the day in history was the start of New Zealanders having a distinct nation, even if they were fighting on the other side of the world or in the name of the British Empire. (Remember, New Zealand only gained total independence from Great Britain in 1947)

~~I slept in today!! YAY! It was much needed after a crazy busy week. Its great to spend so much time with the kids but I felt like I was always with them and really just wanted to sleep! Carls sister and neice will be here later so we'll have a full house for the weekend, should be fun. I may go out and see if anything is happening in this tiny town since there are loads of people here for the long weekend. But...that involves me actually being productive and I'm quite enjoying sitting here doing absolutely nothing while the kids are upstairs!!

No comments: