Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Western Day

Tuesday 23 March

I slept in today after spending so many hours yesterday running around looking at places. It sounds really strange, but I’m REALLY overwhelmed in my decision. Its not that hard, right? Especially when so many places need help! Well, in reality one has to take into account so many little things… that I never realized!

Well, after enjoying my lie in, having moved to a much quieter dorm part that allowed me some sleep, I found an indoors coffee shop with wifi. My $1 coffee bought me 2 hours on the internet and I could’ve stayed for longer but had to go and meet some people. I met with some young guys (maybe 18-25… its so hard to tell here!) that organize a village homestay. It sounds pretty cool but really seems like a way for them to get a bit of money, donations, and just outside influx. Great and totally needed but I think I want something a bit more structured where I know what I can give, besides an obvious financial donation, is making a difference. I did think that going out during the Khmer new year and spending it in the Countryside in a village would be awesome though and told them I’d be in contact.

I had a meeting at 4 to meet with someone from a flyer I’d seen around town. He was late but eventually got here. Hey, he did ride an hour just to talk to me for a few minutes!! His English isn’t so great but what he offers sounds amazing. He’s a director of a school about 30 kms outside the city. (The other one I liked was about 14 kms… that I’d have to bike to every day!)) I could live at the school and only pay $4 a day for food and a place to sleep. (Which in itself is probably raising them money.) Not exactly sure if its my own room or if I am sharing with the other volunteer there...but that’s not important. It sounds like classes are 7-9, 11-12, 1-3, 5-7… not sure if its split up for ages or what. But I’ll be teaching English, hanging out with the kids (aged 5 to adults) and just chilling. The school is run on a generator so it sounds exactly like what I wanted….a chance to really experience the Khmer culture and way of life. (from what he said other volunteers have stayed for 1 week to 8 months.) I believe school is 6 days a week and that I’ll be able to get a ride into town on Sundays.

Sooo…after starting to feel like maybe I was being too picky…I’m jumping in! I am being picked up at 10 on Thursday and will probably start teaching as soon as I get there (strange, eh!). I’m going to buy a weeks worth a breakfast foods to take, a book or two and dive in to unknown! (I’m thinking I’ll buy one big book as well. Then, if I need more I can get more when I’m in town on Sunday not having to take my big bag on the back of a moto!) I’m excited!!!

Oh, I named this blog ‘Western Day’ because I’m eating out every meal today. I had a coffee ($1), 2 eggs for lunch (.50), chips and salsa (1.50), a tostada (2), and a drink (2)… all in the effort to get free internet. I don’t feel guilty as I’ve had a bowl of white rice for dinner three nights running (.50)! I know its living ‘lavishly’ but I figure its allowed every now and then!!

Tomorrow I’m setting out to get my shorts taken in. I bought them in Nov/Dec and they will barely stay up now.. and I mean even with my belt in the smallest hole I can almost pull them down!! Its exciting to know I’ve lost so much weight but annoying cuz I should’ve bought new shorts before leaving Aus but I’d read you could get stuff dirt cheap here. Well, you can if you’re a man or a female that wants gypsy/hobo style clothes. That style doesn’t suit my personality, style or turn out the least bit flattering on me! Even though I’m not a fan.. I think I’ll cave and buy some. I know I’m going to buy a couple shirts as mine are again too big and I need something to cover my shoulders. Really, I could just use a trip to Gap for some of my tanktops, and old navy for a pair or shorts, and then to top it off REI for a pair of travel pant (with the zip off shorts)! I suppose I’ll make do without though!

Well, I wrote this blog during dinner. Not sure WHAT they used in their Mexican food… but it had gluten in it! Its killing me and straight away I can notice it turning my stomach and making me bloated and will probably go straight through me. Oh, I love this gluten intolerance. Every now and then I can tell I get traces of it... and I can tell within minutes, usually! Yay for living healthy!!

Oh, I realize my blog doens't match. Its been 2 years since i played with the backgrounds... and now I can't remember how! oops! I'll figure it out tomorrow! I'm over it today!

No comments: