Tuesday, March 23, 2010

hot = ill

Friday 19 March.

Oh what a hot day! Rich and I had another full day of walking around and sightseeing in the city. We started off at the Royal Palace… which was not worth the steep $6.25 admission price. We walked through the Silver Pagoda, which is supposedly the best bit along with the throne room, and were so not amazed we decided to sit down and pull out our handy companion the Lonely Planet so it could tell us about it. We walked through again and at least knew which Buddha had thousands of gems and that the bed in the back was used on a coronation day. While attempting to take it in and appreciate it we got kicked out! I guess the lovely place is closed from 11-2. Ugh, seriously who is closed for more of the day then open! We wandered around and saw:: the Independence Monument (which you can’t get close to as its in the middle of a round-a-bout), Wat Ounalom (but not Buddha’s eyebrow hair which my books says they worship), St 178 (the art and craft boutique area), and more. We did not find: the Kiwi bakery that we spent ages looking for so Rich could enjoy a meat pie. But I did find another supermarket… that had gluten free muesli bars for me and Vegemite for Rich. I smiled and relaxed at my favourite coffee corner but didn’t enoy the coffee I had later… it gets to thumbs down.

Then we met up with Casey and Kate in Lakeside and while they enjoyed a more ‘expensive dinner’ (at $3/4) I went around the corner and had a $2 curry that was huge and came with a mango drink (which was remade for me with no yogurt!) Then we zipped off to an awesome drum show which we thought was going to be a puppet show! Oops, either way, money well spent… unlike the stupid palace. Then back to the Flying Elephant to enjoy the night. We went out to the Pontoon and enjoyed a bit of dancing before coming home and crashing.

Saturday 20 March.

I woke up feeling MISERABLE today. No, not a hangover as I was the only one NOT drinking last night. I think I didn’t drink enough fluids combined with my anti malaria pills which make me sensitive to the sun. Together it made me ill all day. I couldn’t keep food down and apple juice is about all that makes me happy. So basically I’m wasted away the entire day trying get hydrated enough… which would be much easier with something like Gatorade and attempting to keep something down.

No comments: