Friday, March 19, 2010

Monkey in the middle... of a city!?!

Monkeys in the middle of the city

Wednesday, 17 March. While sitting in the internet cafe posting the blogs and pictures I met a Canadian girl, Casey. I ended up walking with her along the riverfront for while she told me about her time in Cambodia. We went to her favorite coffee place and enjoyed an ice coffee for 1500 r (less than .50). She told me about the orphanage she’s volunteered at for the last few weeks and how she helped them raise money. I then got to me a couple of the kids from the orphanage and decided if I stay in Siem Reap I’d maybe volunteer with them. The only down side is most of the volunteering is trying to raise money for them as they are so desperately in need. Obviously that’s not bad it just seems that they get turned down more often than not. I spent the rest of the day meandering down streets, through markets, stalls, etc and just people watching. I’m just enjoying taking it all in. Don’t think I’ll get sick of it! Later that night I was attempting to walk to Lakeside when I tripped (surprise surprise) and stubbed my toe. Now I thought I’d just broken my nail until I felt my sandal filling with liquid! Next stop was a street pharmacy where I bought alcohol to clean it, iodine and some bandages! Pictures below!! Next I met up with Thomas, a local Couchsurfer at Frog and Shamrocks to enjoy the festive St Pats day. We enjoyed a jug of margaritas, hey, it was greenish and I can’t drink beer! Then we went to Rory’s Irish pub where I met up with the two girls that volunteer at Sunshine Orphanage.

Thursday, 18 March. What a day! A guy from the hostel and I made quite the circle of Phnom Penh today! It was a little climb to the top of a hill…and on the way I noticed monkeys! Yes, monkeys chilling in the park in the middle of the city! On the way down the hill I noticed an elephant. The locals have made an elephant ride for the tourists. I was impressed with his shoes, as they were a bit more stylish than mine! We then walked to the Central Market….where we had to walk through the construction site to make it through the other side. (Who ever said anything about hardhat only sites!) Next, the Royal Palace, which was closed for a 2 hour lunch break so we headed back to the awesome sidewalk coffee spot again for a sit down refresher!! Then we headed across the street to the National Museum which was impressive but a bit of a let down at the same time. We went back to the royal palace only to decide to go tomorrow morning. The ‘Russian markets’ were a bit too far to walk so we hopped into a tuk tuk which is becoming a bit less scary! Here one can find name brand clothes (banana republic, American eagle, etc) for a fraction of the price back home… look at your labels…many of your clothes are made in Cambodia! Next we ‘tuk tuked’ to lakeside and wandered around. Debated changing to a cheaper guesthouse but decided against it as you’re a bit separated from the city and all its marvels and more secluded in a type of backpacker utopia. Now I’m blogging and deciding which $2 curry I’ll have for dinner. I think I’ll splurge tonight, I’ve had 25 cent bowls of white rice the last two days!!

**FOOD*** In the past, I've often found traveling as a vegetarian to be extremely difficult. When no one speaks the same language its often hard to figure out which dishes contain meat and which don’t. Well, now imagine 6 months ago finding out that dairy and gluten cause your body to run havoc on itself. It was hard enough being in Australia and I knew travel, as a gluten free vegan would be a challenge, to say the least. My experiences so far have been interesting. I have a feeling I’ll be eating A LOT of plain rice and rice noodles. I found a western style supermarket today. The only useful thing that had was wheat free muesli (I’m hoping its also gluten free, I can’t find any in the ingredients!) other than that I bought some dry fruit to have as snacks. I wish eating was easier, I wish I didn’t have to be so careful and anal about everything… but its so worth it to feel like a human. It’s amazing how a bit of gluten makes me feel and the migraine I get from dairy. I also forgot how hard it is to get proper fruit and veg when not able to cook, as well!! Fruit I can buy from the market but vegetables need to be cooked. Ah, I love my difficulties!! While it may be impossible to be completely free of gluten/dairy while traveling I’m still giving it my best go!


(ok, i'm back on my computer... and having issues with the pictures...ugh, I will get the hang of this!!! I've loaded them onto my picasa and now can't get them on here!)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Soooo LOVIN' your blog! BTW...I am glad you have found a "cure" for your migraines!! That's AWESOME...YAY!!! I had wondered how it was to eat on your travels.