Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Home is where my backpack lies

Well, as I’ve been known to do from time to time, I completely procrastinated getting any vaccines to come to Southeast Asia. However, in my defense, I spent the last 7 weeks in the middle of Kakadu National Park without regular phone or internet (so no research available and no clinics near with which to get jabbed. When moving up my flights out of Australia, I did consider staying in Darwin to do some vaccines but decided I could do them in Singapore. And on top of that I decided I didn’t need to spend much time there as it is not on the top of my ‘must see’ places.

With that in mind, I arrived in Singapore, got through customs, found the MRT (train) and my hostel all by 830 on Sunday night without any hassles. My first thought was how WEIRD it was to be back in a hostel. Yes, I stayed in some in NZ/Aus but it was a different context in my mind. I had more belongings and felt lived there (or somewhere close by). In my mind I kept saying a combination of things: “What in the world are you doing starting this craziness again!?! I’ve missed the hostel world with random strangers turned instant friends. I wonder how much more I can get rid of out of my backpack!”

I spent a lovely night and morning talking to some great people and was in no rush to go explore the crazy city of Singapore. If you didn’t know, I’m NOT a city person. I do not enjoy the craziness, people, buildings and anything else that comes with them. I finally set out for the day to figure out where to get some vaccinations. Turned out I needed to go to the Travllers Clinic at one of the hospitals. In total it cost me $250 to get: two shots, 4 months anti malaria pills (they have to be taken for 1 month after leaving the region), and the actual visits to the two clinics. Not bad, and I reckon cheaper than it would’ve been in Aus and a much more enjoyable experience. I then ended up exploring a bazillion shopping centres. I was overwhelmed at seeing so many old brands. Its been almost 3 years since I left home (& 2 years since London) so to see the old recognizable brands, stores, etc again was pretty crazy. I know I didn’t spend the last 2 years in the middle of the outback but I did spend hours just wondering around the shops… and buying nothing buy some fruit.
Thailand Dragon fruit to be exact. I’d tasted it once and thought the colors were pretty awesome. Here are some pics (sorry, I wasn’t being clever, just trying to get the contrast in colours).

I continued my aimless wonders, exploring Singapore from the MRT station that led to countless malls (seriously!) never feeling the need to venture out into the torrential downpour that was there that day. In my desire to avoid the city, smog, cars, etc I did alright. I did walk through China town (keeping with the shops) which was one of the best I’ve ever seen.

I met up with a Dutch couple in Little India for dinner. We did our own money exchange (they were heading to Aus and I needed USD coming to Cambodia where they’d just left). Enjoyed a great night of convo and then they left to the airport, and I shortly after.

One of the joys of backpacking on a budget is well, being frugal. I found out the MRT and buses didn’t run at the early hour I’d need them so my only option was a taxi. Of course, I found this out only after I’d paid for both nights. Well, in the end I decided to forfeit my money on the bed as I’d save heaps more taking the train before 11 (to get my deposit on the travel card before that office closed). I put my big bag in left luggage and then attempted to sleep. It was a painful attempt. The construction all around, hard annoyingly spaced curved plastic seats did nothing to help the matter. Needless to say I was thrilled to get onto the flight where I slept from sitting down for about 1-2 hours! Best nap, ever!





Well, I didn't take many photos.. and I've got to sort out the issue with the amount of online storage...so I guess no pics for now :-(

No comments: