Monday, October 20, 2008

10

When one thinks about 10 years one realizes how long that is. (that’s a little less than half my life). One thinks of how much can and does happen in that time. I look back and see that I’ve gone from an awkward 15 year old to a confident 25 year old woman. Within those ten years I’ve: gotten my licence, done amazing things with Jobs Daughters and DeMolay, graduated high school and college, travelled over 25 countries and lived in 2 (of course the list could go on and on). Instead of thinking how much dad hasn’t been here to share in the pain and joy of each of these events, I look back and realize it’s only been possible because of the person he made me.

His physical presence is not needed for me to know he shaped and moulded me into who I am nor to understand his huge impact on my life. I may have had to deal with all his health issues but I look at the positive side and see how much stronger and more resilient it made me. I may have dealt with lose and grief but I learned to appreciate my loved ones that much more.

I have always been grateful for the years I was given with my dad after he was only given a few months to live when I was only in 5th grade. I treasure each of my crazy memories. I treasure the playful insanity that we shared. I treasure the times we layed on the couch watching Rugrats and the Flintstones. I even treasure the time I had to spend in the hospital when his meds were making him insane after his transplant. I treasure the dancing on the coffee table and around the living room that my family did. I treasure the time I went into the ICU and he reacted only to my presence. I treasure the silly time when we all wore swim caps during dinner. I treasure that he loved going to my swim meets, basketball games, and anything else I got involved in. I treasure his love and affection in a way only his twinsie would understand.

While today marks 10 years since my dad was taken, I use today to be thankful for the life he was given. I’m thankful for so much. I miss my dad more than works can describe. I often wish I could share my amazing adventures and shared interests with him. But its in those times that I start to get sad when I realize that during these past 10 years he has had a front row seat. He’s been my biggest supporter every step of the way. He’s guided me, encouraged me and comforted me with every new challenge that I take on.

So today instead of being sad I take the opportunity to say thank you to my dad. I celebrate your life and will always cherish our memories. Thank you for all that you have given me. Know that you are missed but I know you no longer suffer. My heart is full of love for you daddy and I’ll always be your lil brown eyed girl.

Your twinsie
Brown eyed girl,
Juls

2 comments:

sarah tangataevaha said...

i love you!!!!

Meg and Joe said...

You are such an inspiration. I'm so grateful to know you!