Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Welly...the first few days

(sorry about the pics sizes, i messed it all up!!!)

Well, I woke up at 3:30 last Thursday and got ready and waited for the shuttle to pick me up!! Then it was time to go to the airport! I was sooo early.. but didn't really have a choice as I got to pick between getting 330, 4 or 430 for a 645 flight...I did pick the latest option!! Checking my luggage was fun. I had to pay i think about $115 overage fees because my bags weighed too much. (Hey, you're allowed two -very large- suitcases when you come from the states, so I had plenty of stuff! Plus, I'd gotten rid of lots as well! I think I did quite well!) Anyhoo. Got to Wellington and texted Malcolm to wake him up... figured I could wait instead of waking him up super early to come get me. Eventually got to the flat.

I unpacked, cleaned a little, and moved the funiture around so its a little easier to function in there a bit. Let me just say that Malcolm is the best guy ever for letting me stay here for a week or two while I get settled and look for a place, job, etc! I went shopping... was shocked by the price of groceries.. oh my goodness!! A couple other random things that day. Then I cooked dinner and we ate. Then it was time to meet with up the CSers at the coffee shop for an hour and then the movie quiz.

Friday wasn't a great day. Woke up expecting to continue the job hunt (had been sending lots of resumes, apps out!) and found out my mom was in teh hospital. Then I found out she was having an angiogram and may have to have heart surgery. So basically I cried and couldn't focus until I knew what was happening. It was just not nice to be that far away.. and not really have any connection to what was happening. It didn't help that I was so stranded (my brother did update me) but I was just sitting waiting... and not knowing when they started, etc... so that sucked! Anyhoo, eventually I found out she was not going to have surgery so I let out a huge breathe! Yay! Umm.. i don't even know what I did the rest of the day. I think I walked around a bit looking for apps.. .but stupid me had forgotten to print out my CVs (you have to think my frame of mind that day) and so it ended up being a pretty useless day! Came home and decided I'd go buy a cute 'interview outfit' since I noticed a sale! I don't have much business clothes here... so its a must. I was pretty exhausted so I wasn't gonna go out.. even though it was my first weekend night in town. Malcolm and I watched a bit of the video I made and he got pizza at like 8 or 9. I think we were both asleep by 930.

Sat was great. Umm. Not sure what I did now that I think of it! More applications online... eventually I went to The Warehouse. I bought a comforter and some things to hang up in the wardrobe to put shoes and stuff in, since I'll need the stuff when I move anways! I had been freezing and the additional blanket really helped. Of course, more money spent! But, I'll need a blanket (and I bought a duvet cover) for a bed where ever I move. (why hadn't I thought of things like that). I've also bought some random things... like a dish rack, soap, cheese gratter, etc (at the $2 shop!) for the flat... that I can take or leave depending on where I go. That night we went to dinner with a group of CSers. Then it was coffee. Then some bars. My favorite is Kitty O'Sheas... not sure why I like it.. its pretty low key, and they have music... plus its Irish! Umm, think I came home around 330 am.






Sunday I was up at 845 and Malcolm and I made eggs and toast for breakfast. Then I went out with a bunch of people. Met up at the Te Papa cafe, then we walked around the waterfront, went to the book fair, almost went to the brewery (but it was expensive), and then tried to decide where to eat... but with so many people it took forever to decide to do anything! Eventually, we stopped at New World and got stuff (backpacker style lunch for me!). Then it was on to the Cable Car. After the Cable Car we walked down through the botanical gardens, stopping at the playground (which was extremely full since it was Fathers day and a nice sunny day!) and stopping every two stops to take pics (everyone was acting as a tourist, even though all 7/8 live in town!). Eventuall, it was back to another coffee shop, then I went to dinner where I sat while others ate (couldn't afford to coffees and two meals out in a day...even if the first meal was cheap grocery store!) then came home and ate left overs!





Monday morning I applied for some more jobs online. Then got a call from Select (a temp agency) so I made an apt to go in. Spent time running around printing off my CVs, and such. Eventually made it there. Turns out Select also has Select Education.. so it ended up being the perfect place for me to go and a two-for-one temp agency deal for me! yay! Spent the afternoon doing horrible on the tests, but interviewing great (who would've thunk!), then came home and made dinner. Pumpkin cantelonni (and I even baked chicken.. you should all be proud of me!) I met up with pete last night and we saw Tropic Thunder at 915...then it was bed time.

Today I was in the shower when the temp called. By the time I called them back.. they had already filled the job for the day! Ugh! Was looking online for more long term jobs (as I'd taken care of the hopeful short term prospect) and eventually found out my mommy got released today. Then within about 10 mins I got 4 calls from people. I got a call from Select lining up a 2 week job. then right after I hung up the other side (select education) called seeing if I was available.. i'm actually glad that the other side beat them to it! I'd rather work in an office.. to get some experience.. since I have loads with childcare. But its nice to know thats a fall back. Then I got a call to line up an interview on Friday for a receptionist position I applied for. Then, while I was on the phone with them another temp agency called and left a message. Ahh.. oh, and my brother called twice while they kept calling.. it was a funny 15 mins! Then I realized I have no 'business attire' and went shopping! yay, but ahh, boo for spending money before I earn it. I didn't go too crazy though and am limiting myself! No more clothes for awhile! (Only allowed to buy a black belt I need or a purse that I really need!) Now I'm chilling and then tonight is poker night. I'm just gonna go hang out. Not into playing. Maybe get a drink and then come back early cuz I'm pretty tired and I wanna make sure I'm up early and ready to go!

Ok, if you actually read all that.. wow, good job!! I'm gonna get back into posting more and they won't be as long!

1 comment:

Lena said...

Congrats on getting business attire! i need some... well i hope you find a permanent position... Thats awesome you are enjoying Welly! I'm so jealous and I miss my best friend