Sunday, August 17, 2008

a look back

So... watching these Olympics and talking with my mom has made me think loads about my swimming and sports past. (i couldn't remember lots so I decided to write it out to figure it out...)

When I was 10 I was soo into sports and training.... literally. What happened?

It was doing the Iron kids triatholon in TN where I pulled my Achilles tendon that I think I first started losing my interest. I almost completely tore it. I still believe that injury is what has made my ankle so weak and easily sprained, to this day (doctors said then, sometimes its better to snap it and have it surgically repaired) That was in 5th grade.

After that my mom had her heart attack. Then my dad got sick and had only a few months to live. So by the time my ankle was better... I had gotten injured in a stupid accident in school PE and in another cast (thanks josh Burris for missing the soccer ball that I kicked and pounding my foot!) and then... I had another stupid accident at school and ended up in arm cast up to right below my shoulder (they weren't sure if I'd broken my elbow or not) and missed part of the rest of basketball season. 5th grade was the worlds most accident prone year for me.. but goodness, one that seams pretty typical looking back now (I seem to get really hurt doing sports).

So I didn't swim that summer, i don't think because of my dad. We went on a "last vacation" and spend lots of family time together. Ended up he got his transplant and I did some sports in 6th grade... hello baton (where I cracked my front tooth) and basketball. Didn't start swimming again cuz he was sick and these were events I did at school (my mom taught there so I had a ride). Dad was pretty sick that summer and I'm sure that was why I didn't swim. The next year was 7th grade. I did volleyball and basketball. He got his transplant and was better and able to help out with driving a little in summer, so I swam. Turns out I got mono.. and had a HORRIBLE summer. Literally would be asleep til right before the events. My coach... good ol greg had lost hope. I didn't turn out to bad though. I still won my age group on my team. I just couldn't give it everything or train much being so sick with mono. 8th grade, volleyball, and then sprained my ankle playing basketball. Not sure why I didn't swim that year? Maybe cuz I made cheer leading and that was loads of practice all year? So freshman year I cheered and swam. Swim team was small but we still kicked but individually. Sophomore year made cheer (quit cheer when my coach told me I couldn't do half time at homecoming if I didn't go to practice...because I was going to the hospital to visit my dying dad) and swam. My migraines also started that year. I wasn't dedicated at all to swimming. Still did a little better than the year before.. but realized i was having to breathe every stroke (which had happened the year before as well, when I knew I was in shape) and couldn't understand why! Jr year swam as well... again, that was the year I got the helio bacter thing and that affected me. And my migraines affected me.. and then I never got fully into it. Sr year I don't think I swam... just went to meets. I think I was too into Jobs/Demolay that year and traveling after school? I don't remember.

Anyways. the point of this is... I lost my dedication to sports way, way back when. I want to get back into swimming. I miss being athletic. I know I hated the last few years of swimming when I could never catch my breathe... turns out.. I have asthma... that would make sense. Duh! I literally used to die after 50 meters.. which was crazy (i remember thinking, i know i'm in shape, and my cheer coach used to yell at me to breathe, and I'm like I AM..haha!) So once I move to Welly I'm going to find a gym with a lap pool. If it costs me the price of a couple drinks/coffees a week, I think I can manage that. (as long as I find a job/or two, right!) They also have a masters program there. Not sure if I'll get into that or not... maybe after I see if I can even still go back and forth across the pool! Haha, I'd like to join a team of a sport though... that'd be more fun since I can swim on my own at the gym. Hopefully all goes according to plan with that.

I'm going to get my body back into shape! I'm going to see if it'll help my ankle (which is still sore from when I sprained it last month and then kicked the cup) and knees... oh, i didn't mention that. They grew half way out of socket when I hit puberty! (literally, ball and socket joints aren't supposed to be part of the way out! haah!)
|
Its great to watch the Olympics. Its funny to think that these people are my age. I had the same dream as them as a kid. I gave up on my dream...its so great to see that they didn't! I know loads of them had challenges (come on, the open water south African amputee! and didn't give up) why did I? Oh well, I love the life I'm leading and am proud of what I'd done. I can't change the past and wouldn't because I've enjoyed the things I've done in DeMolay and Jobs that I wouldn't have done otherwise most likely. All the swimmers did so wonderful, I'm so proud of USA swimming!!!

Here's to swimming being popular (so I'm not the only one watching it on ESPN....when I'm in the states) or on whatever channel where ever I am!

Oh, and can I just say.. the swimmers are soooo cute. Lochte, Aussies' Sullivan, seriously!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I am so glad you are going to get back to sports. I always loved sports but didnt take care of myself so I could play. Love you and thanks for watching the Olympics and talking with me.

Love you, Mom

sarah tangataevaha said...

i just wanted to stop and say hi. love you

sarah tangataevaha said...

no updates on baby number two. we are still trying.