Monday, April 26, 2010

LP to the Laos/Thai border to Chiang Mai

Oh, 2nd night bus in a few nights. This time I'd bought my own sleeping pills.

I was in severe pain and hoping they'd work like magic. (Ok, to clarify, these are non addictive, muscle relaxer, anti anxiety, etc pills... used for lots of things including insomnia.)

I got SOOO lucky and got a whole seat to myself. I was the only Westerner and they didn't mix us with the locals. Totally glad I was traveling alone!

Well, this road was the WORST road. Bumpy, turny, crazy, words don't describe it. Now most people take a 2 day slow boat to avoid this bus trip... but I didn't have time so I had to endure.

The pills didn't work. Well, i was slamming my head, falling off the seat, and just plain being thrown about too much to have any sleep.

A funny part of the journey. We stopped around 5 am and I had to use the bathroom. We were supposed to pay 1000 kip (like 13 cents) but I literally only had enough kip to get me the tuk tuk and boat across the border and not 1000 to spare!) so I used it without paying. I ignored the guy when he was shouting at me... he ran after me and kept shouting at me. I kept saying sorry, I don't have any. No money, no kip, sorry, sorry. He was sooo pissed. The girl on the seat in front offered to pay for me and he wouldn't take her money (for me) because he wanted me to pay... but i literally had no money. And mind you i saw a couple guys go in and not pay.. and they don't evne have to use the stupid toilets as they can go anywhere! Ugh, I hate being female sometimes!

So we get to the Thai border town around 930 am (16 hours after being picked up at my GH) and get to the river. Now everyone had apparantely booked their ticket all the way to Chaing Mai, except me. I knew it'd be cheaper to do it as two separarte journeys... except I refused to tke out more Kip at the atm. So I finally convinced the guy to give me a seat in the bus (along with the boat to cross the river.. which is the official border) and that I'd take out Baht to pay him in thailand. Kip is useless and each time you use an ATM in this part of the world its about a $5 fee, and I didn't want more kip and didn't wnat to pay the fee twice in one day!! I paid the guy.. we waited for awhile and got in a mini bus.

At one point towards the end my back was so bad along with my neck/legs/arms that I was again in tears. Literally, spasming up and down my legs and my neck was so stiff from jarring it I couldn't look at all to the sides.

22 1/2 hours after leaving my GH in Luang Prabang, Laos I arrived at my GH Chiang Mai, Thailand!!!!

No comments: