Monday, April 05, 2010

Sam Bat Village

I went into my village stay experience really excited... but upon arrival and looking at the squat toilet and bucket shower... I started thinking "what did I sign up for?" Well, that and Director Waha kinda gave me a weird feeling.

Well, I was throw into the first class a couple hours after arriving with the instructions "they'll show you what lesson to do." My first two classes were soooo stressful. I realized the kids were great at copying whats on the board, and reciting English outload but had ZERO understanding comprehension about what they'd (so called) learned to the point they were at. Add that to the fact that my whiteboard markers didn't work and the 2nd class was dark and they didn't turn the generator on and I was VERY STRESSED! I found that each class was an hour too long but the kids were great.

I had lots of fun playing games, teaching the hokey pokey, volleyball, etc with the kids. I tried to make a little difference in their lives. However, in saying that... its a bit hard. The director obviously has the children in mind in setting up the school. BUT he treats the volunteers as "customers" and NONE of us got a good vibe from him. We pretty much had to beg for the water that we actually had paid and he just made everyone uncomfortable. I had a blast with the volunteers and the locals. Meng and Pang, two of the student/teachers (adults who took the night class), were awesome and a lot of fun to hang out with and talk to. They showed us around the village, to a local temple in ruins in the jungle, cooked, etc. One night we had big night of drinking, singing and just hanging out. We kept getting random people from the village coming up and sitting and sharing in the fun (Mario was singing and playing his guitar!).

The kids were lovely. They were all very shy. Its great they are trying to learn english and each day they 'learn' a bit more. I could write for ages about my experience... but for now I think I'll end. It was an awesome experience but left me with something to be desired because of the director.

Again, I'll post pictures later...

1 comment:

Heather said...

AWESOME!!!!