Thursday, June 26, 2008

I <3 my Mom

She's so right.

I want to travel, and I should.

No more of this setting deadlines for this grad school thing. I'm going to look into teaching English in an Asian or South East Asian Country for 6 months. After NZ I'm going to (hopefully) meet up with KC in Australia for 2 weeks and travel there. I'm going to look into a working holiday visa for there as well. So I can travel and tour and work to pay for it (there are lots of backpack type jobs). I plan on visiting more of the Pacific Islands. Then over to South East Asia and then Asia and maybe get to the rest of Eastern Europe that I didn't get to see and/or Africa? There is SO much of the world out there and I'm going to see it!!

I plan on traveling around and spliting it up with work or volunteering. No clue on timeframe or plans. But I'm going to make it happen. Basically, I've just realized (just now) that I can go with the flow and do what I WANT!

I've realized this is the time to do it. The only bills I have are the student loans and if I go to gradschool I'd be getting another HUGE loan and would have to get a 'real' job to pay for things.

She's made me realize I need to follow my heart and I can work for the rest of my life. Grad school will always be there. Granted, I hate the fact that I'll be old, have no 'real' job experience or Masters but I think traveling, adapting and learning is something that most jobs can't teach.

Something about traveling, experiencing new places, cultures and people excites me, scares me, intrigues me, etc and I live for it! I live to explore and to uncover what else is out there.

Thanks mom for putting my mind right (ok, I say this, but it could just be for today.. as I'm always going back and forth about what to do next .)

I think my mom and I have gotten lots closer since I've been away. I've always heard a lot of daughters say that not living with or right next to their mom made them get closer, and I totally agree. Love you mom, thanks for being the best and giving me all the encouragement and inspiration you do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poop I wrote a response and lost the whole thing.

Did I read your blog correctly You actually said I was right about something. I need to stamp this date into my memory. :)

I am so proud of you for your courage and independence. This is the time to continue traveling since you do not have a hubby and kids. I think there will be a time you will want to come back to the states or maybe not. Let your heart dictate your location. With the health issues your dad and I had the one thing I know is that life can change very quickly overnight.

Remember I changed careers at 38. Yep my income dropped significantly but I loved teaching and it gave me more time to be with my family. Getting your Masters or getting a job in your career field will be there for you. You continue to age and life happens. I know that it seems opportunities open and appear when we are open to seeing them and taking the risk. Being a nanny has given you many opportunities to meet wonderful people. You are making many wonderful friends around the world.

I spent a lot of my life doing things because I thought that is what I was suppose to do. As I have gotten old I realize what really counts is if I am a loving and kind person and I do the best I can. I guess because of health challenges I want to encourage you to do things while you are young.

Ok I'll be honest I want a grandchild but what I want more is for you to be happy and have a full life. Reading your blog about Tonga was so fun because it helped me to better understand my Tongan students. I guess I am living vicariously through your adventures.

I love you and your brother unconditionally and what I pray for both of you is to be happy and productive people in this world. How each of you do that will be different but I know you both will add value to this world.

GO for IT! Your dad would be so proud of you and your brother. I LOVE YOU!!