Wednesday, July 09, 2008

And we've got lift off...

First, let me give a little background. (In addition to what I've already written about it!)

I grew up ONLY knowing how to make: baked potatoes, spaghetti or pasta (and I'm talking the simple, add sauce kinda, nothing fancy), pizza, burritos, ramen, mac n cheese, rice, grilled cheese, and frozen food. And maybe a couple other random other things that I'm sure I'm forgetting!

When I moved out, I was doing Jenny Craig and thus eating loads of frozen food and thus not cooking. When I did, it was again, pasta (Ok, David and I did eat A LOT of pizzas and cookies, I admit!) and it was all measured out with just a bit of sauce. I never learned how to spice it up and make it exciting or add vegetables.

Then I moved into my aunts. Again, doing Jenny Craig. Frozen food. Or Fast food or restaurants. Typically that was all I ate. Or reception food... does that count thus I gained back my weight. (The point of this isn't about weight). My aunt is a great cook and I didn't take advantage of that and learn how to cook or bake or anything! Oh, I did love eating her cookies though!!

Then went home for a few months, more of the above (Frozen, fast foods).

Moved to London. John and Sheena were both great cooks. Did I learn anything? Well, I did learn how to make my own vegetable ramen for cheaper....vege broth and egg noodles. Hard, right? But, the first thing I truly learned how to make was white cheese sauce. The girls loved that so I would make them pasta with white sauce all the time (aww, I miss Mia and Anna!)... not too difficult (flour, butter, milk, cheese) but for me it was a huge step. So again, I didn't take advantage of learning any great skills or recipes. I'm sure I would've... I had great plans to learn some awesome recipes... however, we all know what happens.

Then I come to Tairua. They eat LOADS of fish here. I HATE fish. Belinda cooks a lot. Oh, and bakes. Yup. I finally learned how to do something. She somehow suckered me into cooking once a week (ish? cuz its probably not that often.. and this is only lately). Every since I baked the cookies I feel like I'm learning loads. It may seem odd to know SO LITTLE about cooking but I truly know nothing.

I think one reason I've never cooked is because I have NO CLUE what any of the damn terms in the recipes mean. Yeah, they have glossaries that tell you how to do 'this or that' but it doesn't help me SEE it for the first time, which I think is essential in cooking. Some of the things I just don't get until I see it with my own eyes! So I'm taking advantage of living with someone that can be there to answer a million questions about (tonight for example: 'how much water, how do I slice it, but its not dry like it says,' etc) anything and everything and going to cook as much as I can in the next two months. That might seem like it'd be loads, but we're big on leftovers and their big on fish...which they eat at LEAST 3 times a week. So... we'll see how it goes. Hopefully I'll learn some more great techniques and get less scared.

In just the little time I've been 'cooking/baking/messing around' I feel so much more confident. I made pumpkin cannelloni tonight! It was so good! It had cottage cheese in it!!! YUMMY! Even Oscar scarfed it down!!

Ok, that's my two cents on cooking. Anyone have any great (vegetarian) recipes, or things I can make vegetarian (or do the meat separate)??? I'd love to try them out!!

1 comment:

Lena said...

YAY for cooking... i want to learn how to cook..