Saturday, July 05, 2008

Less than 2 months....

Seeing as I have less than two months left in Taiura I'm making a list (that I can go back and refer to) of 'Things I still need to do on The Coromandel.'

It pretty much includes EVERYTHING here as I haven't done anything except Cathedrol Cove. (Here is what The Coromandel pamphlet says -Carl works for them-, what my NZ guide book says I should do, and most importantly what the locals -aka Binds and Sue- tell me I shoudl do!!)

-Drive around the whole Coromandel (stoping at all the lookouts, etc)
-Hot Water Beach (during LOW tide)
-Hahei/Cooks Beach (Cooks Monument! gorgeous blue waters! blow holes during high-stormy?- tide)
-Coromandel Town (Driving Creek Railway, arts/cratspeople)
-Whitianga (food and wine): bone carving,
-Take the lil ferry (its just a lil boat) over to Pauanui for the day
-Whangamata Beach (Shakespeares Cliff after taking a ferry?)
-Waihi (Martha Mine-gold mining)
-Karangahake Gorge Historic Walkway (At least to 4.5 km to the walkway? -tramp through the dark railway tunnel, to Owharoa Falls)
-Paeroa (home of L&P)
-Thames (Rapaura watergardens)
-Scallop Festival (Super famuous, I'm volunteering, so free entry to an even that sold out in like one day!)
-The Pinnacles! (3 hour walk each way in/out, plus summit and night at the base huts!)



Things AROUND The Coromandel (In the North Island)
-Auckland (hopefully explore with a local so they can show me the best of)
-Waitomo glow worms, black water rafting, repelling
-Tauranga: Prestons Kiwifruti Winery, The Mount
-Kiwi 360 (in Te Puke) 'The Kiwifruit Capital of the World'


Can I just say I wish I had taken advantage of doing some of the LOADS of walks around here (10 min-2 hour drive) while it was warm and DRY out! I am looking forward to doing some of this but am not going to kill myself to get it done. I know I can always come crash on the couches/spare beds/camp/etc back here at the Muirs if I need/want to explore this area again in the summer! I'm excited to get down to Wellington and start making some friends that will go on weekend adventure trips with me. I really want to get out and explore the native bush because it is so amazing here!!

Who knows what from that list I'll actually be able to do before I 'leave.' Ehh, you don't get out and enjoy what you have around you until its too late! (Just like never going hiking up towards Tahoe off 50 or 80, or going more to SF to walk, Napa/the wine country to explore etc!)

1 comment:

Lena said...

I'm jealous of you!!! but thats okay... good luck with getting that stuff done before you leave NZ!